Author: Gwen Mitchell
Narrator: Daniela Acitelli
Length: 11 hours 52 minutes
Series: Skydancer, Book 1
Publisher: T. M. Miller
Released: Feb. 14, 2018
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Briana turned her back on her magical heritage to chase her dream career, but now a spell cast with her grandmother’s dying breath has unleashed her dormant Oracle powers, drawing her into a world of dangerous power and cryptic prophecy.
Thanks to her family’s tragic history, Bri is a pariah in her hometown, and the only other witches she can turn to are her childhood best friend, Astrid, and Kean–her first love. They are convinced it’s destiny that has reunited them and determined to help break the curse on Bri’s bloodline.
But the longer she stays, the more people die.
Tortured by chaotic visions of fire and blood, Bri must harness her magic and navigate the dangerous waters of her past–and past life–to unmask the evil hunting in her shadow before it kills the only loved ones she has left.
Because she has a secret of her own. One she already died to protect. And as memories of her ancient rival become clear, so does her grim future…unless she can change it.
Gwen is living her happily ever after in Seattle. She’s a nature lover, science geek, and spiritual explorer, with a nose for well-aged tequila and a pin-up fashion obsession. When not chasing butterflies to hidden waterfalls or cavorting through the Emerald City, she can be found in a cozy chair reading, or brewing up tales of magic, adventure, and romance.
Daniela Acitelli is a professional Audiobook Narrator / Voice Over Artist with a Theatre, Film, Cabaret and Circus background. You can find her on Audible, Itunes and Amazon. She also narrates for the RNIB, SpokenRealms, Deyan and Whitehouse publishing.
Daniela is an actress with a stage background trained in the Meisner technique and Lee Strasberg’s “Method” acting. She has a background in and a great love of Cabaret and Vaudeville including the old time concert saloon, minstrelsy, circus acts, dime museums, and literary American burlesque shows.
- Physical Description: Tall, dancer’s build, green eyes, wild auburn curls (that she usually keeps tamed/straight) and freckles.
- Profession: Concert Pianist
- Zyne Rank: 13th Degree Oracle
- Magical Gift: Death Omens
- Sign: Gemini
- MBTI Type: ESTJ
- Likes: classical music, art & culture, museums, spas, organizing/planning
- Dislikes: cooking, roughing it, dangerous/thrill-seeking activities
- Favorite movie: Casablanca
- Favorite food: Astrid’s clam chowder
- Sits down at a bar and orders: Iced Tea with Lemon
- Physical Description: Tall, ruggedly built, shaggy sandy brown hair, hazel eyes, boyishly handsome.
- Profession: Firefighter
- Zyne Rank: 9th Degree Ward
- Magical Gift: Fading (at great distances and blind)
- Sign: Taurus
- MBTI Type: ISFJ
- Likes: outdoor activities (rock climbing, kayaking), crime thrillers, playing with his dogs, big family dinners
- Dislikes: paperwork, tattletales, and anyone who dates his sister (or Astrid)
- Favorite movie: Gladiator
- Favorite food: Grilled steak
- Sits down at a bar and orders: Local Microbrew
- Physical Description: Petite, deep blue eyes, platinum blonde hair dyed several colors, piercings and tattoos to harden her eternally youthful looks.
- Profession: Chef / Pub Owner
- Zyne Rank: 10th Degree Summoner
- Magical Gift: Weather Control
- Sign: Scorpio
- MBTI Type: ESTP
- Likes: all animals, cooking, running, any and all community gatherings, festivals, and parties
- Dislikes: being alone, sports bars, hot/dry climates
- Favorite movie: Pulp Fiction
- Favorite food: anything you can wrap in a pie crust
- Sits down at a bar and orders: asks the bartender to make their signature cocktail
Gwen Mitchell’s Top 10 Author Who Inspire Her:
- Ilona Andrews – the action and pacing are amazing!
- Kresley Cole – romantic tension that gives you butterflies, and her sense of humor.
- Marion Zimmer Bradley – masterful narrator voice.
- Diana Gabaldon – Description, description, description. Also how to be an adult in relationships.
- Marjorie Liu – beautiful writing. Vocab envy!
- JK Rowling – world building.
- Jacquline Carey – ALL OF THE ABOVE.
- Kim Harrison – mutli-titlle character arcs.
- Meljean Brook – characterization.
- Elizabeth Hunter – forging the path for indies everywhere.
Rain of Ash by Gwen Mitchell is an exciting and fast paced urban fantasy. There is so much going on in this book. If you are looking for a book like City of Bones that has a little bit of everything, don’t look any further because you have found it. This book is packed full of demons, witches, immortals, reincarnation, and lots of soulmates. There is pain, sacrifice, love, and bloodshed. Briana thinks she is cursed and she fights these visions that she keeps having. She thought she was done with her powers when she chose to have them bound at 17. When her gandmother and younger sister turn up dead, Briana knows that she has to go back.
I found myself being extremely captivated by this book. I was drawn in right away with its high pace story line. The narrator easily kept my attention but was a little slow. I found myself speeding up the audiobook a bit. I really enjoyed how the story was narrated by many points of view. I thought this brought even more to the story because I got to know what was happening all the time. That ending! You don’t want to miss this book! Definitely check it out. I give Rain of Ash four out of five stars.
I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Gwen Mitchell. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.
➜Sign up as a host here